A Laboratory for Research, Development and Testing of VCW Products/Services
powered by the VCW-Value Creation Wheel®
VISION OF THE VCW LAB
To have a positive impact in the world by supporting Key Decision Makers (KDMs), who believe in the power of co-creation, to take reliable decisions and find solutions for their challenges while using the VCW-Value Ceation Wheel.
MISSION OF THE VCW LAB
Contribute for VCW’s excellence and develop a wide range of VCW’s products/services and applications (VCW R&D).
The VCW Lab:
- provides all the conditions for collaborators to explore their purpose(s) and their passion(s). All collaborators are expected to be aligned with this mantra: “Be the Captain of Your Life”
- spreads the VCW framework across the world together with its partners. Our partners see the VCW as a framework which might complement, integrate and/or be integrated in their projects.
The VCW Lab builds on Nova SBE´s and Nova University’s Ecosystems, their partners, internal and external stakeholders, and aims to contribute for:
- Lead R&D activities such as:
- Scientific research
- VCW’s MVPs (minimum viable products),
- development of new VCW’s products/services,
- refinement of existing VCW’s market-tested products/services.
- Suppport market development activities of partners leading to:
- market penetration,
- new market segments,
- new international markets.
- Support go-to-market and sales strategies of the partners for the end-customer.
- Development of spin-offs powered by the VCW Lab.
Each one of these actions have different degrees of complexity (theory and/or practice) and require different levels of engagement and resources (3Ms-Manpower, Minute & Money) from the VCW Lab.
WHICH SERVICES ARE DEVELOPED BY THE VCW LAB?
The VCW Lab has it headquarters at Nova School of Business and Economics in front of the beach in Carcavelos/Cascais. The VCW Lab researches, develops and tests a wide range of products/services in education, training, consulting and/or corporate governance which are brought to the global market by its partners.
The VCW Lab develops the following products/services with its partners:
- VCW events (e.g., challenges, talks, round-tables, conferences)
- VCW pre-university programs (e.g., for kindergartens, schools, high-schools)
- VCW university programs (e.g., for undergraduate and post-graduate programs),
- VCW courses in MBAs and EMBAs,
- VCW executive education (e.g., open-education, closed-education, customised education, corporate universities),
- VCW certification,
- VCW consulting (across different industries and fields of knowledge),
- VCW funded research projects (e.g., national governments, EU-Horizon 2020, ESA-European Space Agency),
- VCW research (e.g., MPhil & PhD thesis, post-doc projects, scientific papers),
- VCW spin-offs.
Each one of these products/services/actions have different degrees of complexity (theory and/or practice) and require different levels of engagement and resources (3Ms-Manpower, Minute & Money) by its partners and/or clients.
VCW Lab partners include a wide range of organizations. Please explore different examples of products/services resulting from partnerships with consultancy firms, companies, organizations, universities, corporate universities, executive education centers, primary schools, trade associations, event organizers, NGOs, among many others. Numerous examples of these products/services can be found at www.OpenVCW.com
In a relationship between the VCW Lab and its partners, the VCW can be used to:
- complement existing solutions of a partner (e.g., complementing solutions of organizations and consulting firms that have already their own solutions),
- be integrated into a larger project supervised by a partner (e.g., as a workpackage in Horizon 2020, as being part of the process of building a house),
- integrate tools developed by a partner (e.g., financial plans, business plans, business model canvas, design thinking), due to the fact of being a meta-framework, and/or
- develop and support corporate governance (e.g., through the creation of an innovation ecosystem) and coordination of an innovation process (e.g., coordinating different partners using the VCW to support the governance model).
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BECOME ONE OF OUR BUSINESS AND/OR TECHNOLOGICAL PARTNERS?
The main aim of the VCW Lab is to constantly develop new products/services and support scalability and growth of its partners around the world. The VCW Lab is mostly focused in a) R&D activities, and b) testing market adherence and viability of its problem-solving services/products (e.g., via education, workshops, training, events, and consultancy) across different industries and functional areas.
The VCW Lab is constantly looking for global partners with know-how in specific industries (e.g., aerospace, auto, biotech, coaching, consulting, engineering, energy, healthcare, finance, law, logistics, media, retailing, science, software, technology, tourism) and/or functional areas (e.g., A.I., cloud, big data, digital, governance, HRM, innovation, leadership, marketing, M&As, operations management, programming, strategy, technology).
Each VCW official partner, can develop together with the VCW Lab its own VCW products/services, webpages, and proposals customised for its own B2G, B2B, and B2C customers.
VCW STUDENT PROGRAM AT THE VCW LAB
Would you like to collaborate with the VCW LAB?
- have a 100% flexible schedule?
- explore your purpose and follow your passion?
- be the captain of your life?
- join a team of creative collaborators from different backgrounds and nationalities?
The VCW Center at Nova is receiving undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. We offer a flexible schedule and a VCW certificate (see below).
What can a student gain from the “VCW Student’s Program” at the VCW Lab?
As a student of the VCW Lab you might get these 8 tangibles benefits (KPIs):
- a personalized recommendation letter from the VCW Lab, where it is explained in detail how each student created value to the VCW Lab. This letter is given only to students who contributed for a minimun of 150h.
- five types of Certificates from the VCW Lab: “VCW Part Time Certificate” (min. 240h), “VCW Bronze Certificate” (min. 350h), “VCW Silver Certificate” (min. 500h), “VCW Gold Certificate” (min. 800h). During the Summer period the VCW also offers a “VCW Summer Certificate” (min. 180h).
- a “VCW Certification” when deeply involved in one or more VCW projects (e.g., research. teaching, entrepreneurship, consultancy). There are different levels of VCW Certifications (to be explained in the interview).
- the “VCW Ambassador Certificate”. This certificate is given to less than 5% of the collaborators as recognition of their outstanding contribution to the development and growth of the VCW across the world.
- a paid job offer from the VCW Lab.
- a paid job offer from our partners.
- an invitation to be integrated and/or manage a start-up, i.e. a spin-off of the VCW Lab.
- credits (e.g., ECTS) to be used for courses in your own school/university. The VCW Lab offers some internships. Quite often the minimum number of hours of an internship is defined by the internal rules of the educational institution where the student is coming from. If this is the case, the minimum number of hours needs to be explicit in the protocol signed between Nova SBE and the student’s school. For students of Portuguese institutions, we can offer a limited number of “Estágio curricular obrigatório/opcional”. Students who require credits will only officially initiate the internship after the protocol has been signed between both institutions.
As a collaborator of the “VCW Student’s Program” at the VCW Lab you will be exposed to these intangibles:
- experience a great European location: Nova SBE campus in Carcavelos/Cascais, the Portuguese capital of Surf, right in front of the beach. Proximity to vibrant Lisbon, the capital with the sunniest days in all of Europe (average of 2799 sunny hours a year) and a unique nightlife.
- become part of a fun and vibrant place to work, while enjoying life inside a creativity, innovation and value creation ecosystem at Nova School of Business and Economics.
- learn and develop soft skills required by employees (adapted from Resume Genius)
- problem-solving skills: VCW mindset, lateral thinking, no-box thinking, out-of-box thinking, brainwriting, brainstorming, logical reasoning, initiative, resilience, observation, persuasion, negotiation, decision making.
- creativity skills: divergent thinking, inspiration, imagination, mind mapping, building, insight, innovation, experimenting, failing, questioning
- communication skills: clarity, empathy, listening, verbal and non-verbal communication, written communication, constructive feedback, friendliness.
- team-working skills: delegation, listening, active listening, collaboration, cooperation, coordination, idea exchange, mediation, negotiating.
- adaptability and flexibility: curiosity, self-management, decision-making, calmness, optimism, open-mindedness, analysis, self-confidence, organization, self-motivation.
- interpersonal skills: humor, mentoring, networking, sensitivity, patience, tolerance, public speaking, positive reinforcement, diplomacy.
- time management: prioritizing, self-starter, planning, decision making, focus, delegation, stress management, organization.
- leadership: selflessness, agility, listening, humility, cultural, intelligence, authenticity, versatility, generosity, trust
- attention to detail: listening, organization, scheduling, analysis
introspection, memory, understanding, recollection, questioning
- work ethic: responsibility, discipline, initiative, dependability, commitment, self-motivation, professionalism, teamwork, time-management, strengthen character, belief in the importance of work.
- explore hybrid and transferable skills across:
- sectors/industries (e.g., agriculture, aerospace, biotechnology, business, economics, engineering, finance, healthcare, history, law, politics, technology, tourism, zoology, among many others).
- fields (e.g., business, consumer behavior, design, digital, entrepreneurship, innovation, literature, neuroscience, operations management, psychology, sociology, supply chain management).
- use the activities of the VCW Lab to find and/or follow:
- your purpose.
- your passion.
- your professional vocation.
- develop your projects.
- challenge yourself outside your comfort zone.
- work and learn in an highly dynamic center and organization.
- contribute to development of a global VCW framework, and help to build the VCW Lab, an Innovation and Value Creation Center in one of the leading European Business Schools.
- meet, socialize, network and work with:
- excellent students from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities.
- experienced executives and experts from different fields.
- learn and develop hard skills, i.e. specific knowledge and abilities required for a job. Internship activities are related with:
- the daily motion of the VCW Lab (e.g., creation of databases, case-studies, marketing actions, events, development of new VCW products/services/programs, divulgation, sales).
- supporting the needs of Nova SBE ecosystem.
- supporting the needs of VCW partners.
- intra- and/or entrepreneurial actions.
- several new impressive lines in your CV!
- last, but not least, freedom concerning:
- selecting your favorite tasks and making your own choices.
- managing your time.
- working independently or in team.
- Collaborators entry time:
- ongoing recruitment.
- occur throughout the year.
- The VCW Lab provides office space but does not provide laptops or a stipend to cover internship costs.
- All collaborators of the VCW Lab should have an insurance.
During the VCW Student Program we will be offering you a flexible schedule and we will allow you to match your purpose(s), passion(s) and interest(s) with the Vision of the VCW Lab.
If you are an interested student please send an email to the Director of the VCW Lab: Professor Luis Filipe Lages (lflages @novasbe.pt). Please write in the subject: “Collaboration with the VCW Lab, Nova School of Business and Economics”. Students should attach a CV and explain why they would like to collaborate with the VCW Lab.
LATEST NEWS FROM THE VCW LAB
Luis Filipe Lages was recipient of the 2018 American Marketing Association Research in Excellence Award
This award recognised his JIBS 2008 work with Sandy Jap & David Griffith as “an outstanding article published in a widely recognized and highly respected refereed journal that has made a significant contribution to the literature on global marketing in previous 10 years”.
VCW IN ACADEMIA AROUND THE WORLD
At the educational level, the VCW has been used by professors to teach executives, undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students in over 20 countries.
These courses occur via partnerships with the VCW Lab. The VCW is used as a supporting tool for educational projects at the individual and organizational level in different topics (e.g., innovation, value creation, consulting, entrepreneurship, engineering, decision making, marketing, int. business, strategy, business law, bio-entrepreneurship, social sciences and humanities, air traffic management).
Typically these courses have a strong practical component and require a strong involvement of the Key Decision Makers (KDMs) in students’ real VCW projects. Examples of leading universities where the VCW was used for teaching and research purposes include Aalto University, Babson College, CIIM, City University of Hong Kong, Goethe University Frankfurt, MIT, Marseille University, Nordakademie, Nova University, Korea University, Solvay University, Vienna University, Warwick University, among many others.
The VCW Ambassador Certificate was given to a restricted number of people who provided a “major contribution to the development of the VCW around the world”. These people are (by alphabetical order):
- ANI MARI HARTZ
- CARLOS REIS MARQUES
- HELENA FREITAS PAULINO
- LUIZ CLAUDIO
- MARTA FIGUEIREDO
- TERESA MANNEBACH
- SARA JAHANMIR
- VÁNIA FONSECA
Similarly, the VCW Ambassador Certificate was given to an organization who provided a “major contribution to the development of the VCW around the world”. In a period of 4 years, Deimos has implemented 11 VCW projects:
If you are a Professor and wish to offer VCW related courses, please contact Professor Luis Filipe Lages (lflages @novasbe.pt) at the VCW Lab, Nova School of Business and Economics, Portugal. VCW articles and case-studies might be found in the VCW homepage.