VCW CENTER AT NOVA:
An Inclusive Ecosystem for Innovation & Value Creation at Nova SBE
powered by the VCW-Value Creation Wheel
(this version: 18/03/2019)
THE VCW CENTER AT NOVA
The VCW Center at Nova has collaborators and partners across different fields (e.g., management, finance, economics, engineering, healthcare, marketing, programming, social sciences) and it is in the wonderful campus of Nova School of Business and Economics in front of the beach in Carcavelos/Cascais. The campus is also very close to Lisbon (Portugal), the capital with the sunniest days in all of Europe.
Vision of the VCW Center at Nova:
To have a positive impact in the world by supporting Key Decision Makers (KDMs), who believe in the power ofco-creation, to take reliable decisions and find solutions for their challenges while using the VCW-Value Ceation Wheel.
Mission of the VCW Center at Nova:
We contribute for VCW’s excellence and develops a wide range of VCW’s products/services and applications, while being supported by the VCW Lab.
The VCW Center at Nova:
- provides all the conditions for collaborators to explore their purpose(s) and their passion(s). All collaborators are expected to be aligned with this mantra: “Be the Captain of Your Life”
- spreads the VCW framework across the world together with its partners. Our partners see the VCW as a framework which might complement, integrate and/or be integrated in their projects.
The VCW Center at Nova is supported by the VCW Lab, Nova SBE and Nova University’s Ecosystems, their partners, internal and external stakeholders, and aims to contribute for:
- R&D activities leading to:
- VCW’s MVPs (minimum viable products),
- development of new VCW’s products/services,
- VCW’s market-tested products/services.
- Market development activities leading to:
- market penetration,
- new market segments,
- new international markets.
- Supporting R&D and/or market development activities of its partners.
- Go-to-market and sales strategies for the end-customer.
- Development of spin-offs powered by “VCW Center at Nova”.
Each one of these products/services/actions have different degrees of complexity (theory and/or practice) and require different levels of engagement and resources (3Ms-Manpower, Minute & Money). VCW’s products/services are present in over 20 countries, were implemented in numerous industries, fields and organizations (ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500). The majority of VCW projects are related with solving problems/challenges supported by value creation, innovation, and decision-making approaches.
Main products/services currently offered by the VCW Center at Nova:
- VCW events (talks, round-tables, conferences)
- VCW pre-university programs (primary schools and high-schools)
- VCW university programs (undergraduate and post-graduate programs),
- VCW courses in MBAs and EMBAs,
- VCW executive education (open-education, customised education, corporate universities),
- VCW certification,
- VCW consulting (across different industries and fields of knowledge),
- VCW funded research projects (EU-Horizon 2020, ESA-European Space Agency),
- VCW research (Master & PhD thesis, post-doc projects, scientific papers),
- development of VCW spin-offs (“powered by VCW at Nova”).
Numerous examples of services/products developed by the VCW Center at Nova and brought to the market can be found at www.OpenVCW.com
VCW STUDENT PROGRAM AT THE VCW CENTER AT NOVA
Would you like to collaborate with the VCW:
- have a 100% flexible schedule?
- explore your purpose and follow your passion?
- be the captain of your life?
- manage your own project?
- join a team of creative collaborators from different backgrounds and nationalities?
The VCW Center at Nova is receiving undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. We offer a flexible schedule and the number of hours for a VCW certificate (see below) is monitored through a technological platform.
What can a student gain from the “VCW Student’s Program” at the “VCW Center at Nova”?
As a student of the VCW Center at Nova you might get these 8 tangibles benefits (KPIs):
- a personalized recommendation letter from the VCW Center at Nova, where it is explained in detail how each student created value to the VCW Center. This letter is given only to students who contributed for a minimun of 150h to the VCW Center.
- five types of Certificates from the VCW Center at Nova: “VCW Part Time Certificate” (min. 240h), “VCW Bronze Certificate” (min. 350h), “VCW Silver Certificate” (min. 500h), “VCW Gold Certificate” (min. 800h). During the Summer period the VCW also offers a “VCW Summer Certificate” (min. 180h).
- a “VCW Certification” when deeply involved in one or more VCW projects (e.g., research. teaching, entrepreneurship, consultancy). There are different levels of VCW Certifications (to be explained in the interview).
- the “VCW Ambassador Certificate”. This certificate is given to less than 5% of the collaborators as recognition of their outstanding contribution to the development and growth of the VCW across the world.
- a paid job offer from the VCW Center at Nova.
- a paid job offer from VCW’s partners.
- an invitation to be integrated and/or manage a start-up, i.e. a spin-off of the “VCW Center at Nova”.
- credits (e.g., ECTS) to be used for courses in your own school/university. The VCW Center offers some internships. Quite often the minimum number of hours of an internship is defined by the internal rules of the educational institution where the student is coming from. If this is the case, the minimum number of hours needs to be explicit in the protocol signed between Nova SBE and the student’s school. For students of Portuguese institutions, we can offer a limited number of “Estágio curricular obrigatório/opcional”. Students who require credits will only officially initiate the internship after the protocol has been signed between both institutions.
As a collaborator of the “VCW Student’s Program” at the “VCW Center at Nova” you will be exposed to these intangibles:
- experience a great European location: Nova SBE campus in Carcavelos/Cascais, the Portuguese capital of Surf, right in front of the beach. Proximity to vibrant Lisbon, the capital with the sunniest days in all of Europe (average of 2799 sunny hours a year) and a unique nightlife.
- become part of a fun and vibrant place to work, while enjoying life inside a creativity, innovation and value creation ecosystem at Nova School of Business and Economics.
- learn and develop soft skills required by employees (source: ResumeGenius.com):
- problem-solving skills: VCW mindset, lateral thinking, no-box thinking, out-of-box thinking, brainwriting, brainstorming, logical reasoning, initiative, resilience, observation, persuasion, negotiation, decision making.
- creativity skills: divergent thinking, inspiration, imagination, mind mapping, building, insight, innovation, experimenting, failing, questioning
- communication skills: clarity, empathy, listening, verbal and non-verbal communication, written communication, constructive feedback, friendliness.
- team-working skills: delegation, listening, active listening, collaboration, cooperation, coordination, idea exchange, mediation, negotiating.
- adaptability and flexibility: curiosity, self-management, decision-making, calmness, optimism, open-mindedness, analysis, self-confidence, organization, self-motivation.
- interpersonal skills: humor, mentoring, networking, sensitivity, patience, tolerance, public speaking, positive reinforcement, diplomacy.
- time management: prioritizing, self-starter, planning, decision making, focus, delegation, stress management, organization.
- leadership: selflessness, agility, listening, humility, cultural, intelligence, authenticity, versatility, generosity, trust
- attention to detail: listening, organization, scheduling, analysis
introspection, memory, understanding, recollection, questioning
- work ethic: responsibility, discipline, initiative, dependability, commitment, self-motivation, professionalism, teamwork, time-management, strengthen character, belief in the importance of work.
- explore hybrid and transferable skills across:
- sectors/industries (e.g., agriculture, aerospace, biotechnology, business, economics, engineering, finance, healthcare, history, law, politics, technology, tourism, zoology, among many others).
- fields (e.g., business, consumer behavior, design, digital, entrepreneurship, innovation, literature, neuroscience, operations management, psychology, sociology, supply chain management).
- use the activities of the VCW Center at Nova to find and/or follow:
- your purpose.
- your passion.
- your professional vocation.
- develop your projects.
- challenge yourself outside your comfort zone.
- work and learn in an highly dynamic center and organization.
- contribute to development of a global VCW framework, and help to build the VCW Center at Nova, an Innovation and Value Creation Center in one of the leading European Business Schools.
- meet, socialize, network and work with:
- excellent students from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities.
- experienced executives and experts from different fields.
- learn and develop hard skills, i.e. specific knowledge and abilities required for a job. Internship activities are related with:
- the daily motion of the VCW Center (e.g., creation of databases, case-studies, marketing actions, events, development of new VCW products/services/programs, divulgation, sales).
- supporting the needs of Nova SBE ecosystem.
- supporting the needs of VCW partners.
- intra- and/or entrepreneurial actions.
- several new impressive lines in your CV!
- last, but not least, freedom concerning:
- selecting your favorite tasks and making your own choices.
- managing your time.
- working independently or in team.
Additional information about the internship:
- Collaborators entry time:
- ongoing recruitment.
- occur throughout the year.
- The VCW Center at Nova provides office space but does not provide laptops or a stipend to cover internship costs.
- All collaborators of the VCW Center at Nova should have an insurance.
During the VCW Student Program we will be offering you a flexible schedule and we will allow you to match your purpose(s), passion(s) and interest(s) with the Vision of the VCW Center at Nova.
If you are an interested student please send an email to the Director of the VCW Center at Nova: Professor Luis Filipe Lages (lflages @novasbe.pt). Please write in the subject: “Collaboration with the VCW Center at Nova, Nova School of Business and Economics”. Students should attach a CV and explain why they would like to collaborate with the VCW Center at Nova.
VCW IN ACADEMIA AROUND THE WORLD
At the educational level, the VCW has been used by professors to teach executives, undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students in over 20 countries.
These courses occur via partnerships with the VCW Center at Nova. The VCW is used as a supporting tool for educational projects at the individual and organizational level in different topics (e.g., innovation, value creation, consulting, entrepreneurship, engineering, decision making, marketing, int. business, strategy, business law, bio-entrepreneurship, social sciences and humanities, air traffic management).
Typically these courses have a strong practical component and require a strong involvement of the Key Decision Makers (KDMs) in students’ real VCW projects. Examples of leading universities where the VCW was used for teaching and research purposes include Aalto University, Babson College, CIIM, City University of Hong Kong, Goethe University Frankfurt, MIT, Marseille University, Nordakademie, Nova University, Korea University, Solvay University, Vienna University, Warwick University, among many others.
The VCW Ambassador Certificate was given to a restricted number of people who provided a “major contribution to the development of the VCW around the world”. These people are (by alphabetical order):
- ANI MARI HARTZ
- CARLOS REIS MARQUES
- HELENA FREITAS PAULINO
- LUIZ CLAUDIO
- MARTA FIGUEIREDO
- TERESA MANNEBACH
- SARA JAHANMIR
- VÁNIA FONSECA
Similarly, the VCW Ambassador Certificate was given to an organization who provided a “major contribution to the development of the VCW around the world”:
If you are a Professor and wish to offer VCW related courses, please contact Professor Luis Filipe Lages (lflages @novasbe.pt) at the VCW Center at Nova, Nova School of Business and Economics, Portugal. VCW articles and case-studies might be found in the VCW Lab homepage.